Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Sound of the City Streets 10/11


I was walking through the Union Square subway station, where I saw these two musicians performing.  One was playing a violin, and the other a djembe.  They graciously agreed to let me take these photos of them performing (of course, I gave them a donation for their troubles).  In performance, the djembe player often started with a beat, while the violin player followed with a graceful melody.

That's the beauty about busking.  You don't have to have a huge amp system, you don't need twenty other musicians, you don't even need an actual venue.  You just play.  Of course, these two most likely practiced their routine repeatedly beforehand, but the fact that they are willing to put themselves out there and play in front of millions of traveling New Yorkers is really inspiring.

As for my busking experience, I'm still working out all the variables.  I'm hoping to get a guitarist and maybe a few other percussionists to accompany me, and of course someone has to document the performance via video or photos.  When I do, I hope you'll check us out!

No comments:

Post a Comment